Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Comment on Comment

Dave's comments posted here in response to my "heaven can wait" posting serve to show the vast gulf between world views here. In their presentations here at Louisville Seminary, McLaren and Borg both made strong Biblical cases for a service-oriented "God's will be done on earth" perspective, based on a faith-relationship with God in Jesus Christ. Dave makes his case from a propositional-doctrinal position, quite possibly based on the modernist apology for faith found in a set of doctrines known as fundamentalism. I appreciate Dave's comment because it makes me work hard, and not yet very satisfactorily, to find common ground between our divergent perspectives. I assume Dave is a faithful person with a different take on Christian life than mine. I hope Dave would be able to grant that my take is also worthy of respect.

No comments: